Senate Committee on Veterans’ Affairs to Hold Hearing on Pending Nominations
Washington, DC - On July 19, 2017, the Senate Committee on Veterans’ Affairs (SVAC) will hold a hearing on President Trump’s pending nominees for three VA positions and three vacancies on the United States Court of Appeals for Veterans Claims (CAVC). The hearing is set for 1:30 p.m. in 418 Russell Senate Office Building, and should be available for viewing on SVAC’s website. The following individuals will be considered:
- Thomas G. Bowman, to be Deputy Secretary of Veterans Affairs. Bowman currently serves as SVAC’s majority staff director. In addition to retiring from the Marine Corps after 30 years of service, he has held other leadership positions in VA.
- Brooks D. Tucker, to be Assistant Secretary of Veterans Affairs, Congressional and Legislative Affairs. Tucker currently serves as a Senior Advisor to the Secretary. He is a Marine Corps veteran, served as a policy advisor to Senator Richard Burr, and works as an investment advisor for Deutsche Bank and Merrill Lynch.
- James M. Byrne, to be General Counsel. He most recently served as Associate General Counsel and Chief Privacy Officer at Lockheed Martin. He has held legal positions in the government previously, and received his law degree from Stetson University College of Law.
- Michael P. Allen, to fill former Chief Judge Bruce Kasold’s seat on the CAVC. He is currently a Professor of Law and Director of the Veterans Law Institute at Stetson University College of Law in Gulfport, Florida, where he teaches courses in civil and constitutional law, as well as veterans’ benefits law. Professor Allen is a recognized expert on the law of veterans’ benefits. Before joining the Stetson law faculty sixteen years ago, Professor Allen spent nine years as a civil trial attorney at the law firm Ropes & Gray in Boston, Massachusetts.
- Amanda L. Meredith, to fill Judge William Moorman’s seat on the CAVC. Meredith is SVAC’s deputy staff director and general counsel. She previously served as benefits counsel to Ranking Member Richard Burr of North Carolina and Ranking Member Larry Craig of Idaho. Prior to her positions with SVAC, Ms. Meredith served as director of the Task Force for Backlog Reduction for the United States Court of Appeals for Veterans Claims and as a law clerk and executive attorney to Chief Judge Kenneth Kramer.
- Joseph L. Toth, to fill former Chief Judge Lawrence Hagel’s seat on the CAVC. Toth is a veteran of the Judge Advocate General Corps of the United States Navy and associate Federal Public Defender in Wisconsin. In 2011, he served as a field officer in the Rule of Law Field Force Afghanistan (ROLFF-A), where he was stationed with the U.S. Army’s 10th Mountain Division in the Zhari District of Afghanistan. He also served as Senior Defense Counsel in Pearl Harbor, Hawaii, where he defended Sailors, Marines, and Coast Guard personnel at courts-martial. Following his military service, Mr. Toth clerked for Judge Daniel A. Manion on the United States Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit and Judge Robert J. Conrad of the United States District Court for the Western District of North Carolina.